Ok, so maybe I don't need to hit the panic button quite yet, but as I (finally!) got my kids settled down and in bed last night, I had a chance to sit down with my calendar. The cousins will be here in TWO weeks. They are also staying for two weeks, and will actually be leaving the day before our local homeschool conference. That means I need to get my ducks in a row before they get here. I do have a general plan, and thanks to MFW, it will be fairly easy to turn that into a detailed plan. BUT, I wasn't really planning on doing all of that in two weeks! There are a few things that are making me a little more stressed about school this year. First, we're MOVING sometime after school starts. Also, I have switched to Singapore Math and Spelling Power. I started using Singapore with Abby in the Spring, so I'm getting more comfortable with that (and loving it by the way!). Spelling Power on the other hand....I have not even opened the book (or the DVD for that matter!), so that will probably be first on my to-do list. I have to admit that I am a little bit intimidated by it, but I have spent a lot of time reading reviews and I'm hoping this is the answer to our spelling woes! So here is my tentative plan:Girls:
Exploring Countries and Cultures
Janice VanCleave's Science Around the World
Singapore Math (on their own levels)
Spelling Power
First Language Lessons, Level 3
Handwriting Without Tears, Cursive Handwriting and Cursive Success
Caleb will be a barely 5 when school starts, so I was planning on waiting until next year to start Kindergarten with him (I'm not moving him up at church this year), but he's BEGGING for his own school work. So, I think I am going to do MFW K with him three days a week, and continue working on his fine motor skills with Handwriting Without Tears, the other two days. I'm planning on taking 3 years to cover K and 1st, so by the time we're done, he will be where he would have been if I had held him back. Clear as mud?!? :)
I guess I'm going to go read my Spelling Power book now!

3 comments:
You'll be fine ... looks like a good plan. You always make me wish I were still homeschooling :)
~Heather
I found your blog on training hearts and look forward to following it this year to see what you guys do in MFW! We are doing MFW-K and also just ordered HWOT as well!
Hi, I'm a fellow MFW user & on the blogroll. It's neat to see everyone's own take on ECC & what else you include. I love the Science Around the World idea. :) I hope you all have a great year. I look forward to seeing it on your blog.
Post a Comment